Brilliant, Bah, and Confessions
- I finished The Time Traveler’s Wife over the weekend in a fit of insomnia (I’m an insomniac reader and kind of enjoy reading at 4am when the rest of the apartment is quietly snoozing). It was such an incredible, gorgeous story. I didn’t want it to end. When I first started reading it, I was uncertain about whether I’d really get into it. But boy, did I ever. What a piece of magic. It made me cry and cry and cuddle my sleeping Monkey when I finished.
- I am loving The Killers’ Hot Fuss. A lot. I think they’re interesting storytellers, I love their 80s synth touches, their really great guitar riffs. I think the singer dude has a very sexy skinny-boy swagger in his voice (though, I think he’s not a skinny boy, but whatever). Lizzie was such a dear to have given me my copy of this fab disc.
- I’m going to hang out with Lizzie in her new digs this week. I am terribly excited about going back to Chicago, hanging with my sis and her Bru, eating at places that I’ve been craving since I’ve been here….just being back. Excited!!!
- I received my great Snail Mail Swap gifts from my partner Michele today. Check out my stash (the goodies I sent out to my sendee are here):
Scrapbook paper, rosemary packet, pretty fat quarters, summer dream tea, fun flower push pins, a Christopher Radko bee ornament, and a barbecure rub. The other two pics are close-ups of the bee (I love her!) and the push pins in action. Thanks, Michele!
- I went on a bit of an Amazon binge a few weekends ago. They’re coming in like Christmas gifts. Yay! (when you buy your books used, which I do when I can, you actually buy from indie booksellers. I like that!)
- My Monkey brought me home a lovely bouquet of orchids the other day. Just because. I am so glad I’ve got such a keeper.
- We received this from Amazon this past weekend. It is brilliant. Really funny and so well done. If you love The League of Gentlemen, you will love this (Monkey had this on pre-order and was really happy when it finally arrived).
- My local post-office subcontractor is awesome. The regular post office a few blocks away is really abysmal. Lines go on for about a half hour, and the automated postal machine is often down, and it’s just yuck all around. This subcontracting shop rocks. 2 friendly older fellas breeze through your packages in no time flat, and they are just sweet as can be.
- We don’t have a regular mail carrier. Things have gone missing that I’ve been expecting, so I am really glad that all the goodies above actually arrived. I’d never had issues with the US Postal Service before (my mail man in Chicagoland is the tops).
- It has been hellaciously hot the past few days. 100+ temps. Muggy, stagnant air with little breeze. I really feel for the folks who have to work outdoors in it. The temps are supposed to drop to the 80s this week (nice!), but I’ll not be here to enjoy it.
- Flying with laptops is not fun. I hate the pull-it-all-out business at the security checkpoint while trying to ferry the rest of your carry-ons onto the belt at the same time.
- I wish I had a magic potion to make the house in Chicagoland sell already. We fell in love with another FSBO house down the block from the original FSBO house over the weekend. It’s pricey ($190k more than the first FSBO we loved), but it’s exactly what we want. At the end of the day, we’ll probably be out both homes and have to start homehunting all over again.
My Confessions (as seen at CheekyProf…would love it if you let me know if you play along):
[ ] I am bisexual or homosexual.
 I’ve run away from home. (I did pack myself a ‘hobo’ suitcase on a stick when I was 6. Didn’t go anywhere, though.)
[ ] I listen to political music.
[ ] I collect comic books.
[X] I shut others out when I’m sad.
[X] I open up to others easily.
[ ] I am keeping a secret from the world.
[X] I watch the news.
 I own over 5 rap CDs.
[X] I own an I-Pod.
[ ] I own something from Hot Topic.
[X] I love Disney movies.
[X] I am a sucker for hair/eyes.
[ ] I don’t kill bugs.
[X] I curse regularly.
 I paid for that cell phone ringtone.
[ ] I have “x”s in my screen name.
[ ] I’ve slipped out a “lol” in a real conversation.
[ ] I love Spam.
[X] I bake well.
[ ] I would wear pajamas to school.
[X] I own something from Abercrombie
 I have a job.
[X ] I love Martha Stewart.
[X] I am in love with someone.
[ ] I am guilty of tYpInG lIkE tHiS.
[X] I am self conscious.
[X] I like to laugh.
[ ] I smoke a pack a day.
[ ] I loved Go Ask Alice. (I never read this…)
[X] I have cough drops when I’m not sick. (Ludens & Smith Bros. Cherry is fab).
[ ] I can’t swallow pills.
[ ] I have many scars. (Lizzie prolly does, due to me being a bad big sister when we were kids.)
[X] I’ve been out of this country.
[X] I believe in ghosts.
[ ] I can’t sleep if there is a spider in the room.(ONLY if I’ve seen it!)
[X] I am really ticklish.
[X] I see/have seen a therapist.
[ ] I love chocolate.
[ ] I bite my nails.
[X] I am comfortable with being me.
[X] I play computer games/video games when i’m bored.
[X] Gotten lost in your city.
[X] Saw a shooting star.
[X] Gone out in public in your pajamas.
[ ] I have kissed a stranger.
[X] Hugged a stranger.
[X] Been in a fight with the same sex. (Roommate wars, high school clique things…)
[ ] Been arrested.
[ ] Laughed and had milk/soda come out of your nose.
[X] Pushed all the buttons on an elevator.
[ ] Made out in an elevator.
[X] Swore at your parents.
[X] Kicked a guy where it hurts.
[ ] Been skydiving.
[ ] Been bungee jumping.
[ ] Broken a bone.
[ ] Played spin the bottle.
[X] Gotten stitches.
[ ] Drank a whole gallon of milk in one hour.
[ ] Bitten someone.
[ ] Been to Niagara Falls.
[X] Gotten the chicken pox.
[ ] Crashed into a friend’s car.
[ ] Been to Japan.
[X] Ridden in a taxi.
[ ] Shoplifted.
[ ] Been fired.
[X] Had feelings for someone who didn’t have them back.
[X] Stole something from your job. (my dot-bomb startup company went belly-up. I kept my laptop. it was later thieved from Lizzie’s ground-floor flat in Wrigleyville).
[ ] Gone on a blind date.
[ ] Lied to a friend.
[ ] Had a crush on a teacher/coach.
[ ] Celebrated Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
[X] Been to Europe.
[X] Slept with a co-worker. (my first corp. giant job was a hotbead of lovely young grads, booze-ups, and lots of late nights….it was like the Real World! Also, Monkey and I met when we were co-workers.)
[X] Been married.
[ ] Gotten divorced.
[ ]Saw someone dying.
[X]Driven over 400 miles in one day.
[X] Been to Canada. (I love Toronto, I love Montreal.)
[X] Been on a plane.
[X] Seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
[X] Thrown up in a bar.
[X] Eaten Sushi.
[ ] Been snowboarding.
[X] Been skiing.
[X] Been ice skating.
[X] Met someone in person from the internet.
[ ] Been to a motorcross show.
[X] Gone/Going to college.
[ ] Done hard drugs
[X] Taken painkillers.
[X] Cheated on someone else. (it was an act of revenge. I’m not proud of it, nor am I justifying it, but it wound up bringing me some of the happiest returns of my life.)
[X] Were so bored you took this survey.
[ ] Have a tattoo